The patch promised by Rockstar Games last Saturday is now available. Start your game and connect to LIVE to trigger the download. The patch is 32.6MB, takes a few minutes to install, and contains a variety of fixes including the following:
GTA IV PC Patch
* A fix to the crash after legal screen that some German customers were reporting.
* Numerous improvements to the video editor: Smarter naming of videos, improved rendering quality, better fx during replays.
* Fix to bowling while using certain sensitive mice.
* Fix for ATI 1900 shadows.
* Overall savings to memory.
* Graphic improvements to particle systems and mirrors.
* Multiplayer character settings are preserved.
* Support for DirectInput controllers.
Rockstar have stated on our forum that they are "going to keep supporting GTA IV PC for a long time," and that we can "expect additional fixes/improvements in the future."
Camera/keyboard issue with new patch
Some users are experiencing a "spinning camera" issue after installing the new GTA IV PC patch. Rockstar Games has apologised for this, and provided a temporary solution at our forums:
To fix the issue:
A1) Unplug any DirectInput controllers (gamepads, joysticks etc..)
A2) Reboot your computer
A3) Launch GTA IV
If the issue persists, the following instructions are provided as a guide to assist you in deleting the conflicting DirectInput drivers:
B1) Exit game
B2) Go to Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware Tab->Device Manager->Human Interface Devices
B3) Locate drivers for devices
B4) Delete drivers for devices
B5) Launch GTA IV
**Some users are able to reinstall the drivers for their DirectInput devices, with the device attached, and have found that it will work in game. If you do attempt to reinstall your device and the problem resurfaces, please follow steps B1-B5 again.
Gaming news and opinion.
- ► 2009 (26)